[time-nuts] GPS receiver local oscillator (was: 1PPS for the beginner)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Aug 14 22:14:48 UTC 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 14:42:52 -0700
Wayne Holder <wayne.holder at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm not sure what you consider "low cost' but a 16 bit DAC like the
> MAX5216BGUA+
> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX5216BGUA%2b?qs=sGAEpiMZZMswix2y39ylddFcA27kRSR8c6%2fDlE45lrQ%3d>
> goes for $3.40, quantity one.

If you want a product that ships on time, you dont buy Maxim ;-)

A 14bit DAC can be had for about 2USD at 1000pcs. A TCXO costs
in the order of 1USD at 1000pcs. A simple XO goes for less than 0.1$.

I guestimate that a GPS receiver like a u-blox LEA has a BOM cost
of less than 10$. Adding a 2$ component will seriously hurt the
ability of the CEO to buy a new Porsche with his next bonus. ;-)

			Attila Kinali

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.