[time-nuts] PPS pulse length

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 14 22:29:07 UTC 2018

On 8/14/18 2:15 PM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> Arecibo did a kind of cute trick with their distributed 1PPS.   The one
> second pulses were of one length
> (100 ns as I recall), but the 10 sec boundaries had the pulses be about
> twice that length.  One could carry
> this scheme to considerable lengths as desired.

That's how IRIG works.. 3 different pulse lengths.

And you can come up with other schemes that are DC balanced, or constant
power (so TvB's line voltage fluctuations problem with all the lights
blinking together can be suppressed).

(which makes me wonder - wind farms have red warning beacons that blink
at the same time.. it looks very odd at night from a plane, if that's
all you see.. it's sort of like this spotted red curve that blinks on
and off in the distance - but does the blink rate show up in the output
of the wind farm? - I noticed it the first time flying into Burbank,
where you come in to the north, over Lancaster/Palmdale area.. there's
lots of wind turbines to the north by Tehachapi pass)