[time-nuts] Stuff

Bob Martin aphid1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 16 21:56:51 UTC 2018

Hello,

   I am not a Time-Nut but I did work in the field for Dr. Sam Stein
of Timing Solutions from the time he founded the company in 1991.
Ultimately I became one of his three partners and designed the
hardware and firmware for most of his products. While I chose not to
continue with the company when it was purchased by Symmetricom, for
a few years I continued to work for Sam as a contractor on
additional products and to support older products.

   I just attended Sam's retirement gathering in Boulder,CO and
received permission to dispose of my many years of collected "stuff"
including cables, connectors, old prototypes, raw boards for
distribution amps etc along with lots of parts.  While I've been
asked not to provide full schematics of boards in production, I can
provide hints on how they work.

   There may also be some working zero-crossing detectors from back
when I designed the 5110A Time Interval Analyzer as well as
isolation amps from as far back as the late 90's when we provided
the signal distribution system used in GPS ground stations around
the world.

  My  wife claims her biggest fear is that I'll keel over someday and
leave her stuck with all this stuff in the basement so I'd like to
get rid of it.

   Sam's retirement was like the end of an era for me and I haven't
touched this stuff in years. I'd like it to go to people who can
make use of it as opposed to depositing it in a landfill.

   Ideally there is some Time-Nut in the Boulder, CO area who can
take this stuff and who would be willing to share it with other
time-nuts at no charge.

   I also have a 5120 Phase Noise Test Set with  internal oscillator.
I acquired a new one in a trade for work when Symmetricom asked me
to modify the hardware that controlled the transmitters for the
Loran upgrade to work as the European version that was under
consideration at the time. I would like to donate this unit to an
educational institution that can't afford one (but could certainly
use it) and would entertain suggestions.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Best,

Bob Martin
Former Director of Hardware Development