[time-nuts] TNS-BUF update

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:48:12 UTC 2018

Be watchful about the black epoxy.   It may just be a dyed (otherwise
clear) epoxy,
and some of the black dyes in common use pass near IR quite readily.  This
would
probably be most troublesome if the ambient light source were of the
incandescent
persuasion.

Also, small diodes in clear packages can also make photodetectors.  I once,
in
desperation at a customer's site, successfully kluged a slightly
sub-nanosecond
detector out of a 1N914 (or one of those types like that) and a 9V battery.

Dana