[time-nuts] HP 5065A fault

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:19:46 UTC 2018

John
Sorry to hear of the problem. Agree with a digging in and others will give
you good advice.
However if it just comes down to the very very difficult job of digging in.
Consider floating the heater with a isolated supply and optical switch
driver. Because the lamp heater uses the same common supply you would need
to do the same to that. Though perhaps the two heater +24V supply can be
easily separated.
The transistor may be operated in the linear mode at some point that adds a
wrinkle.
But heck if your in deep trouble then anything is reasonable.
I have had to float heaters like this twice. It works. Though they were on
xtal ovens.
Same with a CRT short.
Regards
Paul