[time-nuts] Russian Timing Service ?

Martin VE3OAT ve3oat at storm.ca
Tue Aug 21 17:28:56 UTC 2018

The RAB99 and RJH stations are a good system.  They send sequential
multi-frequency phase-coherent transmissions (one freq at a time) and
are like the inverse of the US Omega nav system -- if you already know
your exact location, then you can extract very accurate time
information from the phase-coherent transmissions.  I believe they
started in the 1960s and during the early 1970s there were only 4
transmitters involved, sites near Moscow, Minsk, Arkhangelsk, and
Khabarovsk.  I have forgotten the call signs used then (different than
now).  The VLF band gives them wide coverage over large areas of land
and ocean.  A very good system, unlike anything used in the Western
world.

... Martin    VE3OAT