[time-nuts] Choosing a GPS IC for carrier phase measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 21 22:40:17 UTC 2018

On 08/21/2018 11:38 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 02:29:57 +0200
> Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>
>> For control loops, I usually recommend Franklin's book[6], which
>> gives a good introduction, but does not cover any of the advanced
>> topics which you will need for a GPSDO. But even just the basics
>> will get you to a working system. It might not perform optimally
>> under all conditions, but it should do quite well.
>

> I just realized I should have referenced Best[7] and Gardner[8]
> instead a generic control theory book here. Makes more sense in
> this setting.
>
> There is also Wolaver[9], which Magnus recommended to me a while
> ago. But I have not been able to read enough to know whether
> it is a good book to recommend for a beginner, so take this
> with a grain of salt.
>
> 			Attila Kinali
>

> [7] "Phase-locked loops: design, simulation, and applications",
> 6th edition, by Roland Best, 2007
>
> [8] "Phaselock techniques", 3rd edition, by Floyd Gardner, 2005
>
> [9] "Phase-locked loop circuit design", by Wolaver, 1991

The Best book is a nice intro to PLLs with some focus on recepy style of
design. The Best book also has some nice stuff which is kind of missing,
so I end up looking things up there even if I consider it not all that
good for more thorough stuff.

The Gardner book is compact and elegant, and really teaches a lot in how
things work. I find that it gives the best theory framework even if it
does not excel in formulas, but more very well illustration. For most
things, I'll settle for this one.

The Wolaver book is great in showing things by examples, lots of
alternative circuits, but it also illustrates theory nicely. It also
covers some aspects which the others don't cover, for instance jitter
peaking as well as PLL properties when also experiencing injection locking.

I have additional books to these, covering more or less in depth various
topics. These three is however those that get most use, even when I
design PLLs not too close any of those described.

Then as you go into GPS receiver stuff, the Kaplan book is a great
resource. Misra/Enge adds a dimension and then there is a few others
adding to the puzzle. However, if you want to learn how to design a GPS
receiver, the first book to start with should be the Kaplan book, it
covers enough of the basics to get a fair idea of the full system.

Cheers,
Magnus