[time-nuts] Choosing a GPS IC for carrier phase measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 21 22:46:21 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 08/22/2018 12:01 AM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> I have Wolaver's book, and it mostly seems pretty readable.   Wolaver also
> describes
> a technique for extending the linear phase range of the classic "digital
> phase/freq" detector
> to several cycles, not just the usual one-cycle range.

Yes. Actually, this is one of the benefits of Wolaver, it has so many
illustrations of special techniques that you learn what happens, and
that helps to separate issues and understand things on a deeper lever.

One might feel that a wide linear phase detector response is great, but
Gardner brings you back to earth by showing how the edges degrades with
added S/N and eventually only the sine response remains, which is what a
sine mixer gives you anyway so you didn't gain as much from it as you
have thought. In the end, you learn that many tricks and issues is
rarely motivated, so a phase detector suitable and a well tuned PI
control-loop is what solves so many issues.

Cheers,
Magnus