[time-nuts] WWV, WWVB and Daylight Savings Time

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 24 16:56:13 UTC 2018

Hi

I think there are a lot of ways to come up with a “local” WWVB signal that has all the
DST stuff in it (or not if you prefer …). There’s not a lot of code or development involved.
Even with the current shortage of parts, there are an ocean of dirt cheap MCU’s and boards
to pick between. Assuming you already have an accurate “frequency” source, running that into
a board is also pretty simple.

Doing this with a closed source “black box” sort of device …. not for me. There simply is no reason
in this day and age to do it that way. There’s nothing crazy hard to do inside the device. I see no
compelling reason any of it should be “closed”.

Nobody is going to turn off WWVB next week. The budget will go around in loops for months
and months (at the very least). We seem to have a way to get boards built and sold, so even
that part isn’t crazy. This sort of thing should be a lot more popular than the buffer board that
now is into it’s second batch.

Firing something like this up *before* WWVB goes away might get you into interesting issues with
the FCC. I’d wait until things are a bit more clear before building a bunch of boards …..

Bob