[time-nuts] WWV, WWVB and Daylight Savings Time

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 20:34:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 1:25 PM John Marvin <jm-tnut at themarvins.org> wrote:

> There's support in "over the air" ATSC digital TV signals for DST info,
> but most TV stations aren't known  for keeping their time information up
> to date.  There's a system time packet that has the GPS time, the number

RBDS/RDS (transmitted by FM broadcast stations) includes UTC and a
local offset (1/2 hour intervals from -12 to +12 hours -- sorry
Kiribati, Tokelau, Samoa, et al).  But, in North America, like TV
stations, FM stations are lucky if they have a part-time contract
engineer who knows how to set up the parameters in the first place let
alone make sure they stay set.  No specific DST field I can see but
presumably the station's RDS software package can manipulate the local
offset twice a year.

I'm a little surprised at the number of people on this list, of all
places, that are incensed that the government won't set their clocks
for them twice a year (assuming the administration's budget proposal
is approved by Congress).  I don't muck with non-NTP capable stuff so
in my world, timezones and summer time are local display aberrations
that aren't the responsibility of whichever protocol is giving you the
tick (nor should they be IMO).

I might also note that the US Congress has only mucked about with
summer time twice since 1986.  Thank goodness.

Did I see someone mention actually scraping NIST's webpages for time?
Why on earth would anyone do that when NTP clients have been widely
available for decades at this point?