[time-nuts] WWVB Chronverter update progress

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Aug 27 15:57:48 UTC 2018

Hi

The temperature spec on a typical 60 KHz crystal is in the 100’s of ppm
range. The temperature coefficient can hit multiple ppm / C at fairly rational
temperatures.  That all adds on top of the set tolerance of the crystal. Simply
to keep it passing signal while the room changes temperature would require a
bandwidth into the 10’s of Hz.

For reasonable loss in the filter you would want a Ql/Qu ratio of at least ten …
again back into the 10’s of Hz range.

The gotcha of course is that some of the tolerance stacks up all in one direction.
You might pass 20 Hz high just fine, but nuke 2 Hz low on this or that device.

Bob

> [...]
> demodulating a time code with a 1 bit per second data rate using amplitude
> modulated pulses requiring differentiating 0.2s pulses from 0.8s pulses.
> And anyway these tuning fork crystals are only specified to 20 or 30 ppm.
>
> It's only a single pole filter so if a WWVB emulator were 10Hz off and
> "loud", I'm sure the clock will respond just fine.
>
> Now, if this is a fancy-pants consumer WWVB wall clock that also expects
> the phase shift keying (not just amplitude keying) then I have no idea how
> it'll respond to just plain amplitude keying for the time code. You might
> think the WWVB BPSK chip will respond to loud and clear amplitude
> modulation but I have no experience with this. Nor do I even know if a
> single consumer clock was ever sold with BPSK ability.
>
> Tim N3QE
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:40 AM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> One Hertz out of a million Hertz is one part out of a million parts.
>>
>> One Hertz out of 100,000 Hertz is ten parts per million.
>>
>> One Hz out of 10KHz is 100 PPM.
>>
>> One Hertz out of 60,000 Hertz is 16.667 parts per million.
>>
>> If you are running into a device that swings it’s OCXO to lock to the
>> incoming signal,
>> it’s unlikely that the OCXO has a very wide tuning range. Numbers in the
>> sub half ppm
>> range are not uncommon.
>>
>> So - what are we trying to do? If it’s just feeding the cheap wall clock,
>> they aren’t phase locking
>> an OCXO. The vast majority of them just want to do AM reception. If this
>> is going to feed
>> TimeNuts gear for various purposes then indeed locking up an OCXO may be
>> part of
>> the deal.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> On Aug 27, 2018, at 10:19 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK you sort of lost me here. 16 PPM would be great I might find something
>>> that works without a power sucking oven.
>>> But Bob mentioned online calculators and there are PPM calculators. Mr
>>> Google seems to know all.
>>> That said the lock range of any of the professional receivers is tight.
>> +/-
>>> .6 Hz. Used a HP 3336 gen and moved up and down by .1 Hz to figure out
>> the
>>> lock range. 3336 locked to GPSDO.
>>> I may have used the calculator wrong but at 60 KHz it seems like its .05
>>> PPM or was it .5ppm. Anyhow don't like the answer.
>>> I have numbers of 6 MHz xtals and also clock gens. The clock gens were
>> off
>>> by 5Hz when divided down and out of the lock range. It is interesting
>> that
>>> all 3 were of by different amounts but all negative. These are not TCXOs.
>>> A home brew xtal oscillator will not have temperature compensation.
>>> So this has presented a bit more of a challenge then hoped for.
>>> Paul