[time-nuts] WWVB Chronverter update progress

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Aug 27 18:26:02 UTC 2018

Tim, there is indeed a consumer clock that uses only the BPSK modulation
on WWVB. It is an "ULTRATOMIC" clock by La Crosse and has available on
Amazon for over a year now. I have two of these clocks. They are
*vastly* more sensitive than the usual "atomic" AM clocks. My actual
experience is that these clocks will sync to WWVB within 10 minutes any
time of day, completely unlike the usual AM "atomic" clocks.

Several years ago I had radiant barrier thermal insulation installed in
my home attic; it forms essentially an aluminum umbrella over my home,
an unexpected result. I had to relocate all my AM "atomic" clocks to
(the inside of) outside walls for them to sync overnight. However, the
ULTRATOMIC clocks will sync within 10 minutes any time of day, anywhere
within my home.

But, so far as I can determine, this one rather large analog-display La
Crosse clock is the only consumer BPSK clock available. It uses two or
four C-cells for power and claims up to 6 years "battery" life. I
installed two C-cells and they were only slightly depleted after one
year. The clock can be configured for time zone and to inhibit motion of
the second hand between midnight and 5 am. For me, one advantage is that
the clock face is large enough that I can read it without my glasses!

Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-404-1235UA-SS-UltrAtomic-Stainless/dp/B01CCHXTE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535393731&sr=8-3&keywords=la+crosse+ultratomic

or search ULTRATOMIC La Crosse on Amazon.

Tom Van Baak did a tear-down has many pictures posted on his website;
look here:

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/ultratomic/

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)