[time-nuts] HP5065A Step Recovery Diode, what part#?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Aug 28 03:11:05 UTC 2018

Hi:

Diodes that store charge are very different from diodes that do not.  SRD, Varactor & PIN are common diodes that store
charge. For these the key parameter is the amount of charge storage as measured by the Lifetime specification.  For
optimum SRD performance you'd like the lifetime to be about 1/4 the period of the drive frequency.  For HF drive
frequencies that translated to a very long lifetime and probably very hard to find.  Although some Huge Varactor diodes
with large thread size mounting studs may work well.
https://www.prc68.com/I/Diodes.html

I had a conversation with one of the authors of The Art of Electronics and he thought it should be possible to use a
modern IC to generate a narrow pulse that could replace an SRD for tasks where the input frequency was in the HF range.
Like the HP 5100.  Note the 5100 has an assembly that's an SRD inside a heater.  The heat increases the lifetime thus
making for higher output when driven at HF.
https://www.prc68.com/I/HP5100.shtml

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
https://www.PRC68.com
https://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.