[time-nuts] WWVB Signal Generator

Wayne Holder wayne.holder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:35:37 UTC 2018

As a follow up, I now have a simple WWVB simulator written in C that's now
running an an ATTiny85 using nothing more than the internal, 8
mHz oscillator and about a 6 inch length of wire connected to one of the
pins as an antenna.  It generates an approximate 60 kHz signal using PWM on
timer 1.  I tweaked the timer value a bit to correct for some variance in
the internal oscillator, but I' not even sure that was necessary, as my
target is just a  BALDR Model B0114ST, consumer grade "Atomic" clock.
Modulation is done by varying the duty cycle of the PWM to approximate the
-17 dBr drop on the carrier.  But, again, I don't think this value is
critical with a consumer clock chip.  I tapped the demodulated output
inside the clock and displayed it on my scope along with the generated
signal and I got good, steady demodulation with the wire antenna just
placed near clock.  The next step is to connect up a GPS module and add
code to use it to set the time.  I'm also going to change the code to use
the PPS signal from the GPS to drive the output timing rather than the test
code I have now that uses timer 0 to generate the PPS interrupt.  I'm happy
to share details if anyone is interested.

Wayne