[time-nuts] OOPS on my wwv legal post

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Thu Aug 30 05:09:15 UTC 2018

Hi John,

While, tonight, I cannot cite chapter and verse without a lot of
research, I notice you are at a premiere university and certainly have
even greater resources than I to obtain chapter and verse.  However, I
can give you the historical basis for your research.

Going back in time the most sought after process was a means to navigate
ocean going ships more accurately.  The answer to this was being able to
accurately know the time in a stable and precise way.  Historically read
the following :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_chronometer
https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/longitude-found-john-harrison

Because the primary method of transportation, in those days, was by sea,
The united States put a lot of effort in to it's Naval Forces for
protection on the high seas as well as defense.  The first true
observatory was the United States Naval Observatory (USNO) whose purpose
was to maintain the precise time for navigators, among other things.
While the USNO web page has nothing with regard to their history they do
state what they are responsible for on the following page :

https://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time        See Master clock and GPS
links on that page.

At a later point in time was the creation of NBS (National Bureau of
Standards) which is now called NIST (National Institute of Science and
Technology).  The original name [ NBS ] was really more descriptive of
what they did up to about 1970.  After that it morphed into much more
silliness, but that is for another time (no pun intended).  Their
primary mission is all the standards other than time and GPS.  Of course
in order to have an accurate time piece you need very stable and
accurate frequency generation.  So NIST works on stable and accurate
frequency part, but not time as such.

I hope this gets you started,

Bill....WB6BNQ