[time-nuts] WWV and legal issues

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Thu Aug 30 14:51:13 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Scott McGrath <scmcgrath at gmail.com> wrote:

> Um no
>
> Will the internet continue to route packets without precision timing yes
> it will,  Yes the lambdas will stay lit on fiber but the ATM transport that
> runs on the lambdas will fail (note DSL is simply an ATM VC over copper).
> and other timing dependent services will fail

You may find less ATM on the fast links than you think.

>  Will many services like authentication continue especially those based on
> multimaster replication continue to function?
>
> No they will not,  they are totally dependent on precision timing to
> ensure proper replication sourcing. (Microsoft Active Directory)

Precision timing better than NTP? Are you sure?

I guess there are some using Microsoft stuff but the fabric of the Internet
sure doesn't depend on it.

> Banking transactions in the same boat.

Same question.

> Unless you’ve actually run a large network you dont realize just how
> dependent on precision timing the services running over the network have
> become especially authentication And one reason for this is increased
> security for the overall network.

Yeah, I have some experience with running a large net.  I have a little
experience with how the Internet runs. ;-)

--

Brian Lloyd
706 Flightline
brian at lloyd.aero