[time-nuts] WWV and legal issues

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 30 18:02:32 UTC 2018

Hi

Same basic problem with WWVB. If you were using it as a reference, you timed your
data collection to avoid the transition periods. You got both phase shifting and the
amplitude took a dive. Neither one was going to help you make a precision measurement.

In addition there are various weather events (terrestrial and solar) that can get into
the mix. You can see blips here and there that do not correlate with the sunrise / sunset
stuff. Again, not a big deal if you are manual evaluating the data to check your local
Rb standard or super duper OCXO. Not a good thing for disciplining a system 24 hours
a day 365 days a year.

Bob