[time-nuts] NIST

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 30 19:43:10 UTC 2018

Hi

When infastructure GPS *does* get jammed these days that source gets tracked down a lot faster
than a month or so. Anything that goes on for more than a day gets booted up pretty high
pretty fast. Indeed I’ve been in the middle of that more than I would have wished to be …..

The same sort of RFI issues that take out GPS from a TV preamp  can equally well take out WWVB or WWV.
With WWVB, there are a *lot* of 60KHz switching power supplies out there to create problems. There is nothing
unique about any of these services in terms of being jam immune.

The bigger issue with any of them is spoofing. A proper GPSDO will go into holdover when RFI jammed. I would
*assume* the same would be true of a fancy WWVB device. I’m not at all sure that’s true of a real WWVB standard,
they haven’t been for sale new for a really long time. If your time source is in holdover, you can go out and track down
the issue. If it simply locks to the new signal …. not so much.

There is a subtle distinction in some of this. Newer systems do indeed want time. Older systems were generally after
frequency. The only WWVB standards I’ve seen were aimed at frequency (and frequency holdover) rather than time and
time holdover. Getting reasonable (1 to 10 ppb) frequency from WWVB is a very different task than getting the sort of time
that modern systems are after.

Bob