[time-nuts] NIST

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Aug 30 21:20:04 UTC 2018

Hi Bob:

I would disagree in that ease of jamming/spoofing is strongly related to wavelength.  That's because antenna efficiency
goes down as the size of the antenna gets smaller than 1/4 wave.
So, it's easy to make a GPS jammer (1,100 to 1,600MHz) since a 1/4 wavelength is a few inches, something that  you can
hold in your hand.
It's harder to make a WWV jammer (.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz) since a 1/4 wavelength in in the range of  500 to 12 feet,
something that can be mounted on a vehicle for the higher frequencies.
But it's extremely hard to make a jammer for WWVB (60 kHz) where a 1/4wavelength is over 4,000 feet.  This means an
antenna that can be vehicle mounted will be very inefficient. Note this also means that it's extremely hard to make a
Loran-C jammer.  Note that the WWVB and LORAN-C transmitters run very high power and the antennas are massive.

This also means that if someone makes a WWVB simulator for their house the signal at the next door neighbor's house is
probably going to be too small to effect their clocks.

PS. Some decades ago I maintained a beacon transmitter "LAH" on 175 kHz where the rules for unlicensed operation limited
the input power to 1 Watt and total antenna length to 50 feet.  Under these conditions the effective radiated power
might be 2 milliwatts, orders of magnitude less if a portable system.
http://www.auroralchorus.com/pli/1750meter_antennas.pdf

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
https://www.PRC68.com
https://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.