[time-nuts] NIST

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 30 21:56:20 UTC 2018

Hi

Well, designing jammers on a public forum is an “interesting” thing to do…..

With WWVB, you are fine with a “near field” solution. You don’t need something that propagates for
miles and miles. The other thing you have in your favor is that coming up with a KW at 60 KHz is
quite easy. All those 60 KHz switchers we complain about … there’s your dirt cheap source of parts.

The next part of the “solution” is to feed your signal into the local power grid. Your switcher is happy
with a low impedance load. The power line looks fairly low impedance at 60 KHz. It goes the RF and
out and about it flows. Indeed it works pretty well over a good chunk of ground. At least as good as your
typical GPS jammer and no more expensive. Been there end done all that, though not for a WWVB jammer.

Bob