[time-nuts] NIST

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 31 01:00:50 UTC 2018

Hi

….. ok, so you are dealing with city wide jammers that take out all of New York City on a daily basis?
Again, that was the original example tossed out. “A cigarette pack sized jammer that takes out an entire
city”.  A jammer with that sort of range is an easy jammer to spot.

Somehow I find that a bit difficult to believe. What I’ve seen and gone after are *far* shorter range than
that magic device.  A short rang mobile jammer aimed at an ankle bracelet takes out an infrastructure  device
for minutes. That’s why those devices have holdover capabilities.

Indeed at the point they *do* start interfering with major systems over a wide range…. bigger gear gets brought in.
Jamming that actually takes utility systems down is very rare. No cell phone service anywhere in New York is
something that gets noticed pretty fast. It also fires up meetings that last quite literally for years …..

Bob