[time-nuts] NIST

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:12:11 UTC 2018

I once bought a pair of low power 315 MHz TX/RX modules and was going to try them in a model rocket + GPS.   I tested them with a serial port and they had a range of a couple thousand feet at 1200 BPS.   But when the transmitter was connected to the GPS, the GPS lost lock... turns out 315 MHz * 5 is the GPS carrier frequency.   They would totally jam GPS over around a mile diameter.  Also the maker of the modules stopped selling them and actually disavowed that they ever existed!