[time-nuts] WWV and legal issues

Martin VE3OAT ve3oat at storm.ca
Fri Aug 31 14:30:57 UTC 2018

But the diurnal phase shifts at VLF are predictable and largely
repeatable.  Ignore the phase at night and use only the phase records
during the day when an all-daylight propagation path exists.  You
might have to "correct" the absolute phase reading by some multiple of
the RF period, but with a low rate of local standard oscillator drift,
this is a simple matter of arithmetic. Back in the day, I managed
Sulzer crystal oscillators at 5 field sites from my office and could
maintain phase continuity for weeks at a time, until we had to diddle
the dial on one or several of them to correct for crystal aging.  Then
it was just more arithmetic again.  Several of the oscillators had
such low drift rates that all I needed was one daily phase reading
from the VLF phase tracking receiver (Tracor 599Js) at those sites to
know the frequency of the Sulzers there.

... Martin     VE3OAT