[time-nuts] NIST

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Aug 31 14:54:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 18:54:17 -0700
Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has tried using a small parabolic dish, like used for Free To Air satellite TV and aimed it at a GPS
> satellite track or at a WAAS geostationary satellite using a feed antenna with reverse polarization from a normal GPS
> antenna?

I have somewhere a paper (which i cannot find currently, sorry) that
used a dish trained at one of the EGNOS satellites and used it as the
only source for timing. IIRC the results were promising, but not
spectacular. The problem being that all the ionospheric and tropospheric
effects limited the performance, which also could not be averaged
over several satellites. Hence most people today focus on whole
constelation systems and try to get the best out of that, even under
multipath and jamming.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.
                 -- Miss Matheson, The Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson