[time-nuts] eBay GPS antenna.

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:08:42 UTC 2018

Thanks for the responses. It looks similar to but not exactly like the two
antennas referenced. They say the preamp is 3 to 5.5 volts, whereas the
eBay antenna says its preamp is good from 3.3 to 18 volts, indicating I can
run it off 12 volts. Regarding the internals, I must have somehow missed
the photo which clearly shows it to be a patch antenna. It looks pretty
similar to the Trimble I asked about recently, inside, that is. That
Trimble had been dropped from a great height. The nylon screws that hold
the actual antenna assembly had all been broken. I ordered new ones and
replaced them. Disassembly was easy, reassembly not so much. Mine was made
to have the groundplane, but doesn't have it. I suspect that since I am not
doing surveying, it won't matter all that much. I bought an adapter for the
5/8 by 11 thread it uses and have a pvc pipe mount ready to go up. My
location is not ideal. It will be atop a 40 foot Rohn 25 tower, but there
are tall trees nearby. Since my Z3801 died, I don't have much of a GPSDO to
use the antenna with. Just a couple of T bolts and some kind of postcard
sized unit I need to build a housing and power supply for. Still, enough to
experiment with.