[time-nuts] Anyone have experience with this antenna?

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 08:55:19 UTC 2018

That does represent a limiting case but it's a bit pessimistic. The longest
path is for very shallow incident angles eg a 3 mm thick and 150 mm radius
disk gives an angle of only about 1 degree. At 10 degrees, the path is
about 20 mm; with a refractive index of 1.5, the path is only 10 mm longer.
10 degrees might be what you set in the receiver's elevation mask.

A mm thick layer of dirt is just going to be roughly another mm of plastic;
worse if it's absorbed moisture, true.

You have a point about water. Water has about 10 times the refractive index
of plastic (real part of n)  so this is more of a worry. A 1 mm film will
have triple the path through a nominal 3 mm of plastic so at 10 degrees
incidence there is now about 40 mm extra path which you might see in
post-processing. But you're not going to see that in the 1 pps.

Cheers
Michael