[time-nuts] eBay GPS antenna test.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Feb 15 22:40:08 UTC 2018

Hi

Just so people don’t get to down on eBay antennas:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antcom-Active-L1-L2-Choke-Ring-Antenna-Item-123GM1215A-XT-1-AUTOFARM-AGLEADER/302630180910?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 <https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antcom-Active-L1-L2-Choke-Ring-Antenna-Item-123GM1215A-XT-1-AUTOFARM-AGLEADER/302630180910?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649>

Was indeed brand new in box. The pictures don’t quite give credit to the branding
on the antenna. It was shipped directly from the outfit that put the great big
letters on it. Price was a bit less than eBay would have you think, but still a bit
more than the ones from China. No idea if they will be selling any more.

An L1 / L2 choke ring is a much better bet pattern wise than the patch antennas. It also is a
great big heavy monster of a thing to mount somewhere ….

On the down side, like a lot of what you see, it’s GPS only. At least by spec, it will
not pass the full Glonass L1 or L2  bands. That may be why it turned up as “brand new but
we’re unloading it”.  What the passband *really* looks like ….. we’ll see ….

Bob