[time-nuts] Teardown of Chinese made eBay GPS antenna.

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:26:32 UTC 2018

Ignore intellectual property rights - yes
Abusive labor practices - yes (I'm a radlib, this bothers me enormously)
Counterfeit parts - sometimes

But...

Little or no quality control - not necessarily
Drive out better goods - only if buyers allow to happen

Because...

The reason that Chinese manufacturers make and sell cheap crap is because
resellers (I'm looking at you, Americans and Europeans) specify the lowest
possible prices so they can make the highest possible profits.

The Chinese economy is strongly supply-side oriented. Simply put, they
build to the market, with little government regulation. If you go to China
and negotiate for top quality designs, parts, manufacturing processes, and
quality controls, they will happily build you products that match similar
items that come from Rohde & Schwarz or other top-notch manufacturers. That
said, if you want cheap, they'll certainly give you cheap.

When we want someone to blame for garbage in the marketplace, a good place
to look is in the mirror. China is not in the charity business; they build
what people want to buy.