[time-nuts] HP 5065A super

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 24 00:08:31 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Feb 23, 2018, at 6:17 PM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/23/18 1:33 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> Hi
>>> On Feb 23, 2018, at 4:23 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoi Bob,

>>> Interesting. About what frequency range are you talking?
>> UHF up into microwaves. It was part of a lecture back when I was in school … I
>> assume the basic physics hasn’t changed since then :)
>

> Passive intermodulation distortion? What is the physics... hysteresis curves in the magnetization of the nickel is what I would suspect.

It turns out that the nickel’s really awful magnetic properties at RF get it into all sorts
of problems. More or less, the issue is the non-linear field response in the vicinity
of the nickel. You go from “reasonable skin depth” to “don’t go there” in zero distance
when you hit the nickel plating. Past that it gets a bit complicated and it was a very long
time ago ….