[time-nuts] HP 58503A question (EFC: Err)

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jan 5 13:15:13 UTC 2018

Mitch,

Thanks for the screen shot. That means 99% of your 58503 is working; very good news.

If you look at the last line if your screen shot (attached), the self-test is failing due to EFC (Electronic Frequency Control), the voltage that pulls the quartz oscillator low or high to keep it locked at 10 MHz via GPS. The manual suggests this means the oscillator has drifted out of range, but there may be additional causes like the DAC or its bipolar power supply or the oscillator oven or oven power supply, etc.

I've not seen this error before on my 58503's, but it narrows down your problem significantly. Rather than guessing what the root cause is I'll cc time-nuts [1] to see if anyone else has seen this error, or knows what you can do about it.

There's also a useful thread at: www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-58503a-efc-error/

/tvb

[1] I see your original email went to time-nuts-owner@, which ends up going privately to the couple of us who run time-nuts. But if you post to time-nuts at febo.com, then it goes out to the 1800 member list.

If you want to join see http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm for details about the list.

If you don't want to bother joining you can read the live feed for this month at: www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2018-January/date.html

If you want to read anything every written about the 58503A, on time-nuts search google using--     site:febo.com 58503A