[time-nuts] HP 105B: Modern replacement for NiCad battery pack?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Jan 5 18:47:56 UTC 2018

Hi Ulf:

There's another problem with switching to Ni-MH and that's related to the heat generated when charging them.  You can
charge Ni-Cad batteries without monitoring the pack temperature, but with Ni-MH cells you must monitor the pack
temperature.  I would suggest avoiding the Ni-MH option.  Either:
1. Just use modern Ni-Cad cells, no memory and much higher capacity, no change to the charger, or . .
2. Update to one of the Li-xxx chemistries with a totally new charger.  These batteries have much lower self discharge
rates and higher energy density.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke