[time-nuts] HP 105B: Modern replacement for NiCad battery pack?

Van Horn, David david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com
Fri Jan 5 19:05:10 UTC 2018

Memory... :)

I've induced the "memory effect" in NIMH cells and Nicad, and lead acid.  Simply charge to the same point, then discharge to the same depth of discharge about 10x.
In the next cycle, discharge completely and you'll see the bump in pack voltage where you had discharged to previously.
Now charge and discharge again and note that the vaunted memory effect is gone.

In real use, you are highly unlikely to charge and discharge precisely to the same point that many times.
NASA uncovered this in testing batteries for satellites (very special NICAD batteries) where due to solar cells and orbital mechanics, plus very consistent loads, they were seeing the problem.

Normal use, where the pack is discharged to different points (a few percent different) is all you need to prevent this.