[time-nuts] Reference input on HP counters

Jerry Hancock jerry at hanler.com
Sun Jan 7 17:55:25 UTC 2018

As far as lazy, I will check my equipment.

When the others that replied using the term “lock” or “locked”, what do you mean by that?  That for instance, the external reference is multiplied up directly to the internal frequency (IF I suppose) or is it phase locked, for instance?  I’m sure there are other cases.

I’m trying to differentiate between two cases:

1) I apply an external reference at 10Mhz (assumed all the devices require 10Mhz at a certain level) and using a switch of some type (electronic or manual) the reference is now multiplied and manipulated directly to feed stages of the device.  In this way, the phase noise of the device is very much dependent on the external reference.  So if a noisy external is used it impacts the device across all time values.

2) I apply an external reference and another oscillator, maybe the default or supplied internal 10Mhz (like a 10811, etc) is now EFC adjusted to phase lock to the external reference.  In this way, I would think the phase noise of the device would have been impacted less by the external reference (under the time constant of the PLL or EFC loop.

Either way, an oscillator with phase issues used as the external reference is going to have some impact on the device, correct?  I’m thinking of in the case where you use a GPSDO that doesn’t have a very good master oscillator.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hancock
jerry at hanler.com