[time-nuts] AM vs PM noise of signal sources

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Mon Jan 8 02:08:14 UTC 2018

Am 07.01.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Arnold Tibus:

> but I see quite often mentioned the 'Wein bridge'. (Wein in german is
> 'vino' or 'wine' ;-)
> Not of real technical importance, but shouldn't this not be correctly
> called a 'Wien bridge'?
> As I know that this tricky circuit was developed by Max Wien in 1891.
> Max Karl Werner Wien was a German physicist and the director of the
> Institute of Physics at the University of Jena at that time.
>  (sorry, I am a nut ;-)  )

He shares that fate with a certain Mr. Seimens and the famous Oscar
Meyer Weiner.
That must be a German->American sound shift, some kind of extension to
Grimm's law.

There also was a Mr. Hamming, but there never was a Mr. Hanning, at
least not
in the business of weighting contents of time series.

That guy with the window function was one Mr. Julius von Hann, an
Austrian Meteorologist. It is therefore the Hann window.

<    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_von_Hann    >

cheers, Gerhard