[time-nuts] AM vs PM noise of signal sources

donald collie donaldbcollie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:53:47 UTC 2018

 Wien bridge and bridged T oscillators often use a thermistor  [lamp] to
set the  amplitude below saturation, for low distortion, but i`ve seen the
diode AGC method used.
Conversely, you could use a thermistor to set the output of a crystal or
L/C oscillator. One other method seems to be to let the oscillator limit
somehow, and then rely on the filtering action of the resonator to purify
the output. Is this shutting the barn door, after the horse has egreased,
though - especially with close in phase noise, which doesn`t get filtered
as much?. One possible advantage of the thermistor approach would be that
the gain can be reduced without changing the active device`s operating
point, which may have been chosen after conciddering  number of factors :
Oscillator amplitude, best phase noise , linearity. etc. Thankyou Jeff for
pointing out that for best results, maximum output is not always sought.
Looking at my H'P 10544A circuit I see a slow, diode AGC, and a single
2N4125 [?] oscillator transistor with AGC applied to its emitter. I guess
that the voltage gain through the crystal means that the oscillator
produces the expected output with this transistor loafing along, causing
the PM mechanism[s] in this transistor not to be as large as they might
well be if the oscillator was limiting.
P.S.: I`m not learned, just enthusiastic ;-)
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_5189967835349033426_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>