[time-nuts] Down-conversion to IF and sampling

Stephan Sandenbergh ssandenbergh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:57:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

A happy New Year to you all!

Also, thank you to everyone who replied in such detail. It is always a
privilege being able to bounce ideas off of the time-nuts community.

I have found that it is often the case that the error introduced by ADC
sampling is ignored. However, there is an error introduced during
down-conversion and the ADC (with its imperfect time base) then samples
both the resultant IF signal and the IF error term. The result is a
complicated error when frequency offset, drift and random effects are
included.

I plotted the result for a few oscillator drift rate values. It seems that
the 'extra' error introduced by the imperfect ADC time base would be
negligible for many applications for OCXO drift rates or better. This is
likely the reason why it is often ignored.

I'm glad I understand it better now.

Regards,

Stephan.