[time-nuts] Time interval measurement vs dual mixer method

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 16 20:46:05 UTC 2018

Hi

You have to measure two different outputs to do what you describe. The PPS measurements
are limited to > 1 x10^-10 with most counters at tau = 1 second and 2x10^-11 with some exotic
models. The mixer based stuff can get around three orders of magnitude past that at the same
tau. Since a practical mixer system involves filtering one would expect some impact from that.
The gotcha is the low resolution of the counter approach. You run out of resolution before you
can really see anything.

All that said, yes, I have measured the same device both ways and the results do agree
within the accuracy constraints imposed by the techniques.

Bob