[time-nuts] trimble Thunderbolt, how to get 25 or 27 mHz from it??

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 18:22:33 UTC 2018

I am using Leo Bodnar's GPSDO that is based on the 5328 and what looks to
be a good TCXO as an external reference clock for a Perseus SDR. Using
that, I measured phase noise and Allan Deviation of the best sources I have
available and found the phase noise and Allan Deviation to be close to what
has been measured on more expensive equipment. From a quick look at the
5351's data sheet it's jitter appears to be on the order of 100 times more
than the 5328, and would result in unacceptable phase noise for my
application.

I would expect that the 5328 with the Thunderbolt as an input source would
be even better than Leo's GPSDO. Note that the two outputs from the 5328
can't be two arbitrary frequencies, and I have found that different values
of the various dividers can produce the same output frequency by varying
levels of close in spurs.

See my sites listed below for all the details:

https://sites.google.com/site/perseusmods/
https://sites.google.com/site/perseusmods/home/performance
https://sites.google.com/site/spectrumlabtesting/

73,