[time-nuts] minimalist sine to square

Robert LaJeunesse lajeunesse at mail.com
Sun Jan 21 18:31:23 UTC 2018

How about using a single 8-pin DIP IC that is under $2.50? The Microchip MIC4422AYN "gate driver" takes a 3.3V signal in and produces a fast rail-to-rail output swing, with a 4.5V to 18V supply range. Typical output resistance is sub 1 Ohm, so not a problem driving a series back-terminated 50 Ohm load. Note the 4422's rise and fall times are specified with a 10,000pF load, given the primarily resistive load in this case the rise and fall should be sub 10 ns (per p.5 of the data sheet). But do use beefy lo-Z traces and hefty broadband supply bypassing, the MIC4422 can pump up to 9A into its intended load.

Bob L.