[time-nuts] CSAC purchase

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 22 02:36:23 UTC 2018

Hi

The “compelling case” for the CSAC is the combination of low power and long term stability.
You can get OCXO’s that run less power. A TCXO that uses less power is trivial. Temperature
stability wise, there are TCXO’s that get pretty close (= factor of 10) to overlapping with the CSAC.
There is nothing out there that will do the 1 month stability at anything close to the same power level.
The CSAC is unique in that respect. Can you find most of this on eBay? Well, wait a decade or two …..

As a source for a radio project, the CSAC *really* needs a cleanup oscillator. That’s not a knock on
the part. The cleanup oscillator may well use more power than the entire CSAC. Let those who
really need it add it on to their systems.

Bob