[time-nuts] CSAC Project(was CSAC purchase)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 20:42:25 UTC 2018

On 1/25/18 11:20 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> One of the unique features of underwater timing is that the sea bottom temperature
> (once you get well away from a coastline) is *very* stable. In some deployments, the “random”
> nature of ambient temperature that we fight all the time in the rest of the world, simply is not
> present. The device sits at 2.345 C and that’s it …..

It helps that water density has a maximum at a particular temperature -
water that is warmer or colder tends to float up above it. I was just
looking it up and found apparently that does vary with salinity, too...
oh no, another miniscule factor to account for - is there a "seawater
density nuts" list...

Let's see, the bottom of Lake Tahoe (fresh water, so no salinity
variation) is probably fairly stable at 4C. Or any other freshwater
later that actually gets cold enough, and doesn't freeze to the bottom -
so the deeper Great Lakes would probably work.  How warm does the bottom
of Lake Superior get in late summer?