[time-nuts] NTP/PTP to SMPTE

Ryan Stasel rstasel at uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 5 03:29:26 UTC 2018

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 7:19 AM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, July 3, 2018 11:40 pm, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> OK, it is not too hard to code it up. I did it for IRIG-B, and it's
>> possible to do for SMPTE 12M LTC code too. Validating it is however
>> something that needs care.
>
> I have used these libraries for generating and synchronizing with SMPTE
> time code stored in video files.  Currently does not have a tool that
> generates timecode continuously based on current time, but if you don't
> mind GPL the basics are known working.
>
> https://github.com/x42/libltc
> https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools
>
> The ltcgen tool in ltc-tools might be interesting as an example if nothing
> else.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I did get those working (at least on an ubuntu VM with X11 running). Seemed to work pretty well, but as you said, not realtime and not contiguous. Obviously directing the output to the audio jack wouldn’t be hard, but seems overly brutish (but I should give it a shot). Maybe just a 1s burst every minute would be plenty to keep the unit sync’d. Again, it only displays to the second, so I’m not looking for high precision from minute to minute, just enough to keep it in some form of “lock step” with reality. =)

Thanks!

-Ryan Stasel