[time-nuts] ?==?utf-8?q? a newbie question: where can I purchase 794.7nm VCSEL for building CPT rubidium clock?

Henk Peek henkp at nikhef.nl
Fri Jun 15 12:52:41 UTC 2018

Cheap (CW) lasers such as CD and short distance 850 and 1300nm telecommunication laser have an optical spectrum
of a few nm width. This optical spectrum width is filed width multiple optical frequencies.
Distributed feedback-lasers generate a single optical frequency. They much more expensive.
The most distributed-feedback lasers have peltier temperature control to set the optical frequency.
The laser output is proportional with the laser current.   This laser current modulation is called direct modulation.
The simplicity of direct modulation has always offered most cost-effective transmitters compared to external
modulation techniques using continuous-wave (CW) laser diodes followed by electro-optic (EO) modulators,
or integrated external-modulated lasers (EML) with electro-absorption (EA) modulators. Direct modulation system performance, however, has been limited by the intrinsic chirp (FM) of directly modulated lasers (DMLs), and
induced spectrum broadening.

Henk