[time-nuts] Affordable PoE 6-digit time displays?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:38:00 UTC 2018

At work we have POE LED clocks, I think 2.5", circa $400-$500. So your $300
price you've been seeing is about right.

In terms of homebrew:

I bought a bunch of 3.5" high green Seven-segment displays 10+ years ago.
Cheap, really cheap at the time!

Was always intending to build a 6-digit clock with them but never got
around to it.

I have been having fun with ESP8266's (small cheap microcontrollers with
WiFi) for other projects. If I were to do a NTP clock it would use the
ESP8266 and NTP protocol over Wi-Fi. Not real NTPD, just NTP UDP packets
plus a teeny bit of local dead reckoning.

Tim N3QE