[time-nuts] Affordable PoE 6-digit time displays?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jun 15 16:37:43 UTC 2018

A while back I purchased a Symmetricom ND4 clock on eBay -- it was lasted
as "Not Working / for parts only", and it turns out that was true -- the
processor board had issues. I wasted much time trying to fix it, and then
simply removed it -- I'm now using a Raspberry Pi Zero to drive the display
part (over the SPI bus). It runs NTPD, and so is more than accurate for a
wall clock.

Total cost was less than $100 (if you ignore the money wasted on trying to
revive the old board :-) )
Some details here:
https://github.com/wkumari/symmetricom-nd4-python/blob/master/symmetricom_raspberrypi_clock.py

An example ND-4 on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Symmetricom-ND-4-820-1444-Digital-Clock-Time-Display-90-264v-ac/302748531081?hash=item467d37f989:g:GEUAAOSwpHpbBqm4
-- this one is new, if you wait a while you should be able to find a dead
one...