[time-nuts] KS-24361 Lady Heather problem

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 14:41:05 UTC 2018

I was running two for a while, then needed the FTDI converters for
something else. I've just reinstated one with a CH340 converter, will see
if it has any problems.
I'm currently connected to a ref-0, which is itself connected to another
ref-0 modified so it functions as a ref-1.

I've used various RS422 converters : abusing RS232 is probably the worst
option. There are alleged RS232 converters available on ebay which turn out
to be TTL and are therefore closer to the right voltage specs than the
product they clone badly :). However, you probably need to bias the RS422
levels of the KS24361 to make them reliable.

I've recently found these converters :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//253141528330  (other sellers also have them).

I haven't opened the case to find out what drivers are used (the USB chip
is CH340), but they're extremely cheap and nicely packaged with leds for
RX/TX and apparently proper RS422 levels. You can chop the mini-din
connector off, fit a DE-9 and you've got a perfect KS2461 connection. The
wires are long, flexible and, IMHO, a nice colour :)

Connections for a male DE-9 plug to fit the KS24361 J8 are :

3  shield
4 brown
5 orange
8 black
9 red

Many converters are sold with DE-9 connectors but there seems to be no
sensible connection standard so you end up making a conversion lead anyway.
The smallest, neatest possible converter is FTDI's USB-RS422-WE-1800-BT
which has the circuitry in the USB plug and wire ends for you to fit a
DE-9. But they're $36 or so....