[time-nuts] GPS Antenna Grounding/Lightning protection.

Van Horn, David david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com
Tue Jun 19 16:22:20 UTC 2018

About that "cone of protection"
http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/cone-of-protection-myth.html

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts <time-nuts-bounces at lists.febo.com> On Behalf Of Bill Hawkins
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2018 3:16 PM
To: oz at ozindfw.net; 'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement' <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS Antenna Grounding/Lightning protection.

Oz has some useful observations.

I've worked on a 50 foot ocean-going fishing party boat that had a 10 foot aluminum mast on top of the wheel house. That will be the shortest path to ground on the open sea. The best you can do is to connect a 4"
wide copper strap from the mast to the keel, with as few bends as possible and none greater than 45 degrees. This seems to work.

I've also worked at a blasting cap plant where 50 foot masts were erected at both ends of an earth-covered powder magazine. They provide a "cone of protection" that prevents a direct hit on the magazine. The mast grounds were measured quarterly with a hand-cranked device specifically made for ground resistance. It had to be less than 100 milliohms.

But if you really want protection from a direct hit, you must disconnect the tower device(s) before the storm hits. The coaxial cable must have only one ground point. The other end should be far from a metallic ground. You'll probably lose any electronics in the antenna, but there are far more expensive things in your lab.

You will also have to deal with the electromagnetic pulse, so all of your equipment, including the computers, must have a common ground point. This provides a ground plane that can change potential relative to the Earth without inducing potentials between devices. Every connection to/from the ground plane must have a surge arrestor. If the risk of nearby direct hits is high enough, isolate the ground plane from all external connections before the storm. You'll need battery backup on the ground plane for all temperature controlled ovens and crystal oscillators. Maybe the Cs and Rb packages also need to keep running.

It would help to move away from Florida, or high hilltops.

Bill Hawkins