[time-nuts] Setting Time on WSPR Radio Transmitter

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 22 18:27:43 UTC 2018

brooke at pacific.net said:
> I'm experimenting with a WSPR beacon transmitter and part of how it works
> depends on pushing the start button at exactly  2 seconds past the minute.

What do you mean by "exactly"?

> SotaBeams, who make the WSPRlite transmitter recommends using http://time.is/
> which seems to be accurate on my cell  phone but not on my desktop running
> the stock NTP. Can someone comment on time.is?

How does time on your cell phone compare with your desktop?

ntpq -p on your desktop will give you a lot of information on how good your
desktop time is.

time.is seems to be using javascript over http/TCP.  That's not a good start,
but can be good enough, depending on your needs and the implementation
details.  I'm generally not impressed with things that don't provide details.
(Maybe I just didn't look in the right place.)

In this type of discussion, a lot depends on your network connections.  How
good is the connection to your desktop?  How good is the connection to your
cell phone?

> The problem is the transmitter (and the start button) are out in the forest
> where the antenna is located.

What sort of connection do you have to the transmitter?  I'm guessing there is
something like a Raspberry Pi out there.  Why not run NTP on that system?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.