[time-nuts] Setting Time on WSPR Radio Transmitter

Clint Jay cjaysharp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:29:39 UTC 2018

I’m a regular WSPR and FT8 user and use Dimension4 to sync my PC clock,
time.is says the clock is ‘exact’ with errors in the single digit mS range
reported.

My results on WSPR/FT8 would suggest it works well enough and there doesn’t
seem to be any advantage in this application to seeking further improvement.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 at 21:19, Donald E. Pauly <trojancowboy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was not aware of time.is but it is an Icelandic website.  It is
> maintained by a guy in Norway and the accuracy and reliability is not
> known.  I would use time.gov which is the NIST website.  It is
> corrected for network delay.  A few years back I compared it with WWVB
> on 60 kc and it was well within a tenth of a second.  There have been
> posts here of different computers giving errors of a few seconds on it
> with different internet providers.  I have seen discrepancies between
> my cell phone and the wireless at MacDonalds for example.  The trouble
> seems to been caches of the website.  Hit F5 for refresh and you
> should get a fresh page.  Just now my phone on Metro PCS and laptop on
> wireless both agree with time.gov considering slight known errors.
> Time.is shows my laptop to be slow by 0.87 seconds which is correct.
> Do not trust the network time on your cell phone.  I have seen them a
> minute off.  Usually cell phone time is within a couple of seconds
> with my carrier.  My phone is set to time.gov and not network time.
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Azelio Boriani
> <azelio.boriani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is time.is not accurate or your desktop's clock? Try https://uhr.ptb.de
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 6:58 PM Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> I'm experimenting with a WSPR beacon transmitter and part of how it
> works depends on pushing the start button at exactly
> >> 2 seconds past the minute.
> >> http://prc68.com/I/DRM.shtml#WSPR
> >> The problem is the transmitter (and the start button) are out in the
> forest where the antenna is located.
> >> http://prc68.com/I/Images/TCI651TOA1s.jpg
> >>
> >> SotaBeams, who make the WSPRlite transmitter recommends using
> http://time.is/ which seems to be accurate on my cell
> >> phone but not on my desktop running the stock NTP.
> >> Can someone comment on time.is?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Have Fun,
> >>
> >> Brooke Clarke
> >> http://www.PRC68.com
> >> http://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html

Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*