[time-nuts] HP 5065A A1 replacement with DDS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 24 21:05:52 UTC 2018

Poul-Henning Kamp said:
> That's one of the reason I went with Bo's DDS (32bit0 instead of the eBay
> modules (20-24 bit).  Higher resolution mitigates the spur problem at least a
> little bit.

I think it also moves the spurs closer in.  But maybe if they are small enough
they get lost in the normal noise.

Does anybody have a handy formula for the spurs given the parameters for a DDS?

I've occasionally thought of writing code to generate the output of a DDS and
run it through a FFT.  I haven't figured out how much memory that would need,
or rather how wide a DDS I could simulate with the memory I have.  A 20 bit
accumulator repeats after a million cycles.  At 8 bytes/sample that's 8
megabytes which I can do.  (Round down if FFT needs another copy.)

We are only interested in the close-in area, so old brute-force calculations
maybe fast enough.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.